Curried Sweet Potato & Lentil Soup
Serves 4 as main or 6 as starter
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbs curry powder
- 1kg sweet potato, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2½-3 cups vegetable stock
- 400ml coconut milk
- ½ cup brown rice
- 400g can brown lentils, drained, rinsed
- ½ cup Greek-style natural yoghurt
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- Chargrilled bread, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion, cook stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in curry powder, cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the sweet potato then pour over 2½ cups of stock.
- Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, partially covered, for 15-20 minutes or until sweet potato is very tender. Stir in the coconut milk, set aside to cool slightly. Blend or process until smooth. Taste and season.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice following the absorption method on the packet. Transfer to a bowl, stir in the lentils. Cover to keep warm.
- Return the soup to the saucepan, bring to the simmer. Add remaining stock to adjust the consistency, if required. Spoon ½ cup rice and lentil mixture into serving bowls. Ladle in the soup. Top with a dollop of yoghurt and coriander leaves. Season with pepper and serve with chargrilled bread.