Sweet Potato Mash
4 - 6 persons
- 1kg sweet potato, peeled, roughly chopped into large chunks
- 2 tbs butter, chopped
- 1/3 cup thickened cream or milk, warmed
- 1/3 cup finely grated parmesan
- 2 tbs finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Put the sweet potato in a large saucepan, cover with cold water and good pinch salt. Bring to the boil over high heat. Boil, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until the sweet potato is tender all the way through, when tested with a skewer. Drain well.
- Return the sweet potato to the hot saucepan. Shake the pan over low heat for 1-2 minutes to remove any remaining moisture. Remove pan from the heat.
- Roughly mash the sweet potato. Add the butter and cream or milk and stir until smooth. Stir through the parmesan and serve drizzled with parsley oil if desired.
- For the parsley oil, stir the parsley and oil together.
The large pieces of sweet potato take longer to boil, less water is absorbed by the larger the piece which results in better flavour. If your short on time, put the sweet potato in a single layer onto a microwave-safe plate, cover and microwave for 7 minutes on High/100% then add to a saucepan of boiling salted water and cook 5-10 minutes until tender.