Sweet Potato miso soup
Prep: 15 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbs finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 kg sweet potato, peeled, chopped
- 1 litre chicken stock
- ¼ cup red miso paste
- 2 tbs sesame seeds, toasted
- 3 green shallots, finely chopped
- 1 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- ⅓ cup yoghurt, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the sweet potato. Stir to coat in the onion mixture.
- Increase heat to high. Add the stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Use the lid to partially cover, simmer for 20 minutes or until sweet potato is very tender. Set aside to cool slightly. Blend or process until smooth.
- Return the soup to the saucepan. Combine miso paste with ¼ cup cold water, stirring until smooth. Stir into the soup and return soup to a gentle simmer. Taste and season.
- Combine the sesame seeds, shallots and coriander together. Ladle the soup among serving bowls. Top with a dollop of yoghurt, sprinkle with sesame mixture and serve.