Barbecued Sweet Potato Wedges
- 1½ kg sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs honey
- 2 long red chillies, halved, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Lime wedges, to serve
- 1 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 long red chilli, halved, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- Cut the sweet potatoes into quarters lengthways. Put into a large saucepan, cover with cold water, add a good pinch salt. Bring to the boil, simmer, uncovered for 4-5 minutes until almost tender (see cooks tip). Drain well, spread onto a large tray in a single layer. Cool 10 minutes.
- Combine the oil, honey, chilli and cinnamon together. Brush over both sides of the sweet potato wedges.
- Preheat a greased barbecue grill plate on medium-high heat. Barbecue the sweet potato wedges, in batches, for 5-6 minutes turning until lightly charred and cooked through. Sprinkle with coriander salsa, drizzle with a little olive oil and serve with lime wedges.
- For the coriander salsa, combine all ingredients together.
The sweet potato should still be firm at this stage (refer step 1), test by pressing a skewer into a piece, it should insert through the sweet potato with gentle pressure. Undercooked is better than overcooked- as it can be cooked longer in step 3 if necessary.