Roast sweet potato, kale & cucumber salad
- 1kg packet sweet potato, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup boiling water
- 6 large kale leaves, stalks removed
- 2/3 cup continental parsley leaves
- 2/3 cup basil leaves
- 3 lebanese cucumber, chopped
- 1/3 cup flaked almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbs honey
- 1 long green chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded finely chopped
- Preheat oven 200°C fan forced. Put sweet potato into a roasting pan, drizzle with oil and season. Roast 30-35 minutes until golden and tender. Meanwhile put couscous in a heatproof bowl, pour over boiling water. Stir then cover for 3 minutes. Stir gently with a fork to separate the grains. Cool.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a large bowl, season and whisk until well combined. Wash and dry kale leaves then finely shred. Add to the dressing with the sweet potato, couscous, parsley, basil and cucumber. Toss gently to combine.
- Pile salad onto a platter or board, scatter over the almonds and serve.
You can replace the couscous with brown or basmati rice, quinoa or freekah.
To reduce even more heat from chilli, drizzle whole chillies with olive oil and roast in a hot oven for 15 minutes, cut in half and scrape the seeds and white membrane from the centre you will be left with sweet mild chilli.