Sweet potatoes - split with beetroot & walnut salsa
- 1kg packet sweet potato, unpeeled
- 1 tbs olive oil
Beetroot & walnut salsa
- 1 bunch (700g) baby beetroot, trimmed, scrubbed
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp horseradish cream
- 4 green shallots/onions, finely chopped
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 tbs thyme leaves
- 1/3 cup walnuts, toasted, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven 200°C fan forced. Scrub the sweet potatoes under water with a clean brush. Pat dry. Pierce them all over, at least 8 times with a fork. Rub the skins all over with oil and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 2 Put onto an oven tray and roast 40-55 minutes or until they are tender all the way through to the centre.
- Meanwhile, for the salsa, wrap each beetroot in foil, place on an oven tray and roast under the sweet potato for 1 hour or until tender. Remove from oven. Cool 15 minutes. Wearing gloves to prevent staining, rub the skin from the beetroot. Discard the skin, dice the flesh.
- Whisk oil, vinegar, maple syrup and horseradish in a bowl until well combined. Add warm beetroot, season then set aside to cool. Just before serving stir in the green shallots, chilli, thyme and walnuts.
- Split the sweet potatoes down the centre with a sharp knife and ease open. Pile in the salsa and serve.
In a hurry? Replace steps 1 & 2 with one of our quick cook methods
You can replace the raw beetroot with a 500g packet pre-cooked beetroot if your short on time.
To keep bunches of thyme fresh, wrap in damp paper towel then store in an airtight container in the fridge.