Sweet potatoes - split with Mexican slaw
- 1kg packet sweet potato, unpeeled
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Lime wedges, to serve, optional
- 3/4 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 2 tbs fajita spice mix
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 tbs warm water, optional
- ¼ red cabbage, finely shredded
- ¼ green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 cup continental parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, grated
- 4 radish, trimmed, thinly sliced into rounds
- 3 green shallots/onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven 200°C fan forced. Scrub the sweet potatoes under water with a clean brush. Pat dry. Pierce them all over, at least 8 times with a fork. Rub the skins all over with oil and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Put onto an oven tray and roast 40-55 minutes or until they are tender all the way through to the centre.
- Meanwhile, for the slaw, combine the mayonnaise, spice mix and lime juice in a large bowl, whisk to combine adding water if needed. Remove ¼ cup of dressing to a small bowl. Add cabbage, parsley, carrot, radish and green shallots to the large bowl, toss well to coat.
- Split the sweet potatoes down the centre with a sharp knife and ease open. Pile in the Mexican slaw. Drizzle with reserved dressing. Sprinkle with a little fajita seasoning and serve with lime wedges.
In a hurry? Replace steps 1 & 2 with one of our quick cook methods
Store any un-used slaw in an airtight container, preferably glass (as it keeps fresher) in the fridge for up to 5 days.
The Fajita spice mix comes in 40g sachets, you will find it where all the Mexican ingredients are in the supermarket.